Friday, August 15, 2008

Hidden Treasures

When you think you have traveled this entire small country and seen so many, towns and villages, there's another hidden treasure. My Greek friend Dimitri living in Africa drove North towards Ruhengeri . Took a right to Remera driving down dirt roads. It was Sunday, so everyone we passed was wearing their Sunday best for church. We had a bag of candy for the children we would see walking the sides of the road. They all yelled Muzungu (white person) in Kinyarwanda. A few small children, were afraid and ran when we stopped, we may have been the first Muzungu they had seen. We were in paradise, very green, hills (yes the land of a thousand hills). Vegetation growing everywhere, waterfalls, flowers, and the smiles of the people in the tiny villages. as we passed through.






We called him "The King" he was very charismatic and happy. Very poor in his pocket, but very rich in his spirit.















Then there it was, beautiful Lake Rhondonu,
with islands in the middle and volcanoes in the
background. These volcanoes are the home of the Silverback Gorilla's. The feelings of peace, tranquility, serenity, and being safe filled he air. Yes another hidden treasure of Rwanda I have now seen. But there was more, a Meditation Centre founded my a French woman, I don't know when, but began with the building of one small cabin to what it is today. They grow all the food for the centre on property. It's name is Foyer de Charite.











Everywhere I walked was so surreal, I kept wondering if I was dreaming or was this real. Yes another reality, another reason to love Rwanda even more.

I love the reflections in the water, the beauty of Rwanda reflects everywhere and in everyone.


I wonder............. do we all know where we belong, and if we do in our hearts, why do we so often do nothing about it? There must be more to this life, a purpose for us all, a place to belong.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sonya, these photos are amazing and the stories are almost too much to believe. Your Rwandan name is a perfect fit for you though. I am glad to see you made it back safe though, I was a bit worried for you when I realized where it was you were going.

Fred